Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

On Claude Moss, Sr. retiring...

On Tuesday morning, June 26, 2012, in Patterson Hall Atrium in the College of Veterinary Medicine, Nursing, & Allied Health, at 11:30 a.m., my beloved, hard-working father, Claude Moss, Sr., 80 years young, retired from Tuskegee University.  He is 80 years young, lively, sharp, witty, spiritual, intelligent and a dynamic orator.  My father began his Tuskegee University experience on June 17, 1975, as the Necropsy Technician in the Department of Pathology & Parasitology (now Pathobiology).  He served with "dedicated excellence" in this position for 42 years. 

As a sidebar, I graduated from Tuskegee Institute High School in 1976.  My father's position allowed me to attend Tuskegee Institute (the school's name at the time) for half price, which was a blessing to me and our family.  The other half of my tuition was covered more than adequately by scholarships I won for maintaining a 4.0 academic average throughout my studies, which culminated in me matriculating with Highest Honors in the School of Education as an English Education major. 

When I look back on my life, I realize how invaluable and instrumental my father was for a major part of my success.  He possesses "stick-tuitiveness," resolve, fortitude, honor, dedication and long-suffering.  Claude Moss, Sr. is a man who did what was before him to do, no matter what.  And I am grateful to be his daughter, a twin to my brother, Claude Jr., who is seemingly a polar opposite of me yet we are one.  My father named me Claudia.  Wanting me to be named after my great-grandmother, Claudie, yet desiring to up-dated the treasured name, he settled on the name Claudia, a classic, spit-shined version of Miss Claudie!

My mother, Clementine Young, married my father after her graduation from Tennessee State and their union was blessed with 6 children.  She made her transition when I was in the ninth grade at Tuskegee Institute High School.  Later, my father took Gladys Levett as his wife and was blessed again with three more children.  From my 9 siblings, my father has 20 grandchildren and 6 great grandchildren...and counting!  My siblings are Diane, Claude, Jr., Bernadette, Glenda, Athera Everlener, Lorenzo, Delton and Katarina.

Daddy served in the U.S. Army from 1953 until 1955, after which he was honorably discharged.  While serving his country, he fought in the Korean War.  During that time, he had his fill of water and will not cross it to this day, which postpones our fabulous foray into Hawaii!  Yet we remain hopeful!

Educated in the Macon County School System, Mr. Moss is a faithful, beloved member of the Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church, where he serves on the Deacon Board.

He is an inspiration to me, my family and a plethora of others!


(L to R) My sister Bernadette "Chicken or Bernie" Stitts, my Aunt Marion and my older sister, Diane Moss

(L to R)  My lovely nieces, Whitney McCall and Dr. Jeannette McCall, Dr. of Physical Therapy, Diane's two daughters.  They have a brother, Kenny McCall.

( L to R)  Entrepreneur Glenda P. Halcromb, Whitney, Bernadette, Jeannette, Diane and Aunt Marion 

Sister Glenda snapping IPad pictures at the Tuskegee Institute retirement celebration.

Gladys and Daddy enjoying the distinguished ceremony.

Diane smiling for the camera!

Me!!  Claudia posing for the flash!

Mikyla and Mann, my adorable niece and nephew, behaving themselves at the ceremony!  They are my baby sister Katrina and her beloved Q's children.

Dr. Fredrick E. Tippett, Head of the Department of Pathobiology, honors my father with gifts.


 My father was honored with June 26, 2012 as Claude Moss, Sr. day in Tuskegee Institute, AL.  In addition, he received Keys to the City.  The only other family member I know of who received such an honor was my cousin, Douglass Moss, who, posthumously, received a day in his honor in Massachusetts, when he was laid to rest last year.


 Claude Moss, Sr. delivers a moving, humorous and loving presentation to say THANK YOU!  I am a speaker today, because my father is one of the most outstanding speakers I know...outside of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.


Sisters Glenda and Bernie and Auntie Marion smile for my cell phone!!


My sister Stephanie gives us a pretty laugh along with my adorable niece!


WE LOVE YOU, DADDY!!!  THANK YOU FOR BEING OUR PROTECTOR, MENTOR AND FATHER!

Living a Golden Life,
TheGoldenGoddess

July 4, 2012

No comments: